Saturday, December 21, 2013

HAFF OFF: Commercial or INSANE?

The majority of "rapper's" or "MC's" that I have met think my beats are "cool" but they can't or don't want to rap over them, which I can respect that. I used to take it personal but I've been doing this for years! Even back when I first started making beats in Buffalo (back in like 86ish?) I came in contact with a lot of rappers because I was DJing and only a small percentage of them "felt" my tracks and wanted to flow to them. We made some dope songs (imo): D-ICE - "The Sound of My Gun", Marty T - "Mackin Harder", and Kid Debonair - "Ass Kickins Are FREE"! (I have the instrumentals to those tracks on SoundCloud, if you're interested HMU) So basically I stopped trying to make beats for rappers a LONG time ago and just decided to do what I DO! I like to experiment mainly... There are SOOOOO many sounds, samples, genres... I mean just SO MUCH S**T you can do these days on a pure "beat making" level that I approach it like a kid in a candyshop! I can totally see an MC's point of view though. I mean if you're not felling it you're not feeling it! Some beats just evoke a certain emotion from you and you're compelled to write to it, flow to it, sing to it... HALF OFF is one of the last beats I made and it's off of the album, "The Impact", which I just released on December 5th aka my birthday aka the day NELSON MANDELA died... (We'll talk about that a little later) The title, "HALF OFF", came one day when I was listening to the beat, day dreaming, and I'm like "this sounds like it could be in a commercial", something I've been told before about a few tracks. But THEN, years later, when I was thinking of "cover art" I got another brilliant idea! Half Off ALSO has another connotation... Like someone being half off their rocker INSANE... And if you listen to the beat it sounds like the soundtrack to some INSANE WARD, slasher type THRILLER! To ADD to that, I recently partnered with ReverbNation and 50% of my sales go to the charity OXFAM which has basically been a dream of mine since I was in highschool; to use my musical talents to help the "less fortunate", so I don't mind them taking HALF OFF the top! PEACE Y'ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment